Commercial Contracts in English – drafting and understanding them (2 dagar)Norstedts Juridik
This is a “hands-on” course which will focus on the most common company and commercial contracts dealt with by Swedish lawyers. The course will provide guidance both on contract drafting and on understanding legal documentation in English. It will provide an overview of English and U.S. contract terminology and principles, with comparisons with Swedish law. Relevant aspects of EU law will also be covered. There will be frequent drafting and review tasks for delegates to undertake. The course will also provide guidance on drafting in plain English and avoiding “legalese”.
Hur påverkar COVID-19 denna utbildning?
Vi på utbildning.se är övertygade om att kunskap driver människor och organisationer framåt. Det gör även de arrangörer vi samarbetar med.
Många utbildningar ställs exempelvis om från klassrums- till distansutbildning.
För att ta reda på om en utbildning påverkas med anledning av COVID-19, kontakta gärna arrangören.
Centralt i Stockholm
Utdrag från programmet
- Lawyers in practice or in-house counsel who deal regularly with agreements written in or translated into English
- Lawyers from firms or companies currently involved in little international work, but who are predicting or planning an expansion of this area
- Procurement managers/officers who deal regularly with international procurement agreements
- Government lawyers who work on cross border agreements
- Senior company executives wishing to enhance their understanding of and ability to write legal documentation in English
- Secretaries attached to in-house departments or government offices
- Secretaries to senior company executives who handle a range of communications, including contracts written in English
09:00 - 09:30
Registration and introduction to the Course
09:30 - 12:30
English Contract Principles and Terminology(including a coffee break, approximately 15 min)
Concentrating in particular on typical boiler-plate clauses found in common law contracts. This section will also deal with new developments, difficult areas and differences between Swedish and English / U.S. Contract Law. There will also be guidance on avoiding ambiguity when drafting in English.
The following non-exhaustive list of topics is covered:
- invitations to treat/tenders
- conditions, warranties and indemnities
- privity of contract
- express and implied terms
- exclusion clauses
- rectification of contracts
- breach of contract
- remedies for breach of contract
- liquidated damages clauses (cf. penalties)
- anticipatory breach
- misrepresentation, duress, mistake
- frustration of contract / force majeure clauses
- dispute resolution clauses
- choice of law / jurisdiction clauses
12:30 - 13:30
13:30 - 17:00
Company and Co-operation Agreements and other documents(including a coffee break, approximately 15 min)
This session will focus on:
- Different types of business structure.
- Different types of joint venture vehicles (e.g. contractual, partnership and corporate).
- Study of a joint venture agreement with shareholder agreement and articles.
- Comparison with co-operation agreement
- Drafting a Memorandum of Understanding.
- Lock-out clauses / exclusivity letters.
- Non-disclosure agreements and undertakings.
09:00 - 11:00
Sales contracts, agency and distributorship(including a coffee break, approximately 15 min)
This session will include the following:
- Standard terms and conditions of sale. Particular attention will be given to retention of title and other key clauses.
- Distributorship and agency agreements. Drafting agency and distributorship agreements to conform to relevant EU law and block exemptions.
- Supply agreements
11:00 - 12:30
Intellectual property licences
Drafting Trade Mark and other licences in compliance with EU law.
Key clauses in IP licences will be discussed including those relating to:
- Quality control
- Warranties and indemnities
- Events of termination.
12:30 - 13:30
13:30 - 14:30
Intellectual property licences (continued)
14:30 - 16:30
Loan Agreements and Debenturer (including a coffee break, approximately 15 min)
This session will include:
- Types of bank finance (term loans, demand loans, revolving credit, syndicated loans etc).
- Key clauses in loan agreements eg conditions precedent, negative pledge clauses, covenants, events of default, default interest .
- Dealing with different types of charge and security e.g. fixed and floating charges, liens, pledges and insolvency terminology and principles.
- Assignment and novation of loans
16:30 - 17:00
End of course. Closing remarks.
The course will be taught by David Fletcher, who is a frequent lecturer in Scandinavia.
He gives contract-drafting courses, both general and in-house, in a number of countries including Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Finland.
Norstedts Juridik - marknadens ledande utgivare och leverantör av juridiska tjänster
Efter 150 år i juristbranschen kan vi juridik och vet vad våra kunder behöver. Med vårt breda kursutbud och våra välrenommerade juridiska experter erbjuder vi kvalificerad fortbildning för dig som arbetar med juridiska frågeställningar. Som kursdeltagare får du fördjupad kunskap...
För att få mer information om utbildningen Commercial Contracts in English – drafting and understanding them (2 dagar) från Norstedts Juridik, fyll i dina uppgifter:
Flera orter (5)
5 900 SEK
9 900 SEK-11 900 SEK
6 900 SEK
Flera orter (2)
36 950 SEK
Flera orter (2)
12 500 SEK